Monday, August 30, 2010

W3D1

Wow, Week three day one! You were tough! You hurt so bad but felt so good! It was especially nice to run again after eating all that fair food on Saturday.

W3D1 consisted of a 5 minute warm-up, 90 second run, 90 second walk, 3 min run, 3 min walk, repeat those run/walk segments again, and then a 5 minute cool down. I thought I was going to die on that first three minute run. I wanted to check the time so badly but tried really hard not to cheat and look at the clock. My calves really tightened up and I think I was starting to get shin splints for the first time in my life. Everything just felt so tight in my legs; kind of like how you feel after you eat too much salt and you get swollen.

But the good thing is I made it through the 3 minutes with the help of Husband S. The 90 second segments right after the first three minute run went way too fast. Then we had to do the final three minute run. My legs still hurt during that, but I seemed to be able to handle it better. I couldn't believe how much distance we covered in those three minutes. Probably 1/3 of a mile or so according to the trail markers. That's a lot for me!

It puzzles me why my legs hurt so much. I'm wondering if I changed my stance somehow. I try to run heel to toe, rolling my foot. Maybe I shouldn't do that so much? Maybe I'm hitting too hard on my feet? Or maybe this is just what happens. I have no idea, but I hope I can work through it.

Husband S and I talked a lot during this run. Usually I am breathing too hard and I can't talk, but I have been getting better at talking. We talked about the weather and how it was surprising that it has never rained yet on a running day. Knock on wood, the forecast predicts rain for our W3D2 run now. We also talked about music being banned in races and why that might be. Does the music give some runners an advantage by causing them to run faster? We have no idea. In addition, we talked about how we usually dread starting the run but how we always feel good after we finish it. I love the feeling of finishing a good aerobic workout. I'm glad we've both been able to push each other to get out there and continue running on a regular schedule.

Anyways, the weather on this run was hot and humid. Probably upper 80's. This run was around 6pm, which was later for us.

Looking forward to seeing if I can improve my distance during the next 3 minute segments on W3D2!

No comments:

Post a Comment