Tuesday, August 17, 2010

W1D1

Today my husband S and I started the Couch to 5K (C25K) training program. We had been talking about getting in shape again for a long time and finally decided that now was the time. It is actually the perfect time for us. The training program is 9 weeks long. 9 weeks from now is our 1 year wedding anniversary - so what a perfect reason to get in shape! I'm going to try to get back to the weight I was on our wedding day (10-17-2009). I've definitely gained some weight since we've become newlyweds. Our lifestyle has become more sedentary - we stay home more and sit on the couch with kitties on our laps and watch movies on Netflix. Let's face it, it was time for us to get off the couch and become more active. This program will be the perfect opportunity for us to get in shape!

So today was W1D1 (week 1 day 1). It was sunny today and probably in the 80's. A little drier outside than the usual humidity we have been experiencing in August. We ran at 5:30pm on the paved trails along the creek. Today's program was a 5 minute warm-up walk, followed by 8 cycles of 60 second jogs and 90 second walks. Then there is a 5 minute cool-down walk. The run was difficult. Who are we kidding? I've never been a runner in my life so this was pretty hard! But I liked how there were intervals of walking and running. I never would have been able to just run straight for 5 minutes. At least not yet. So it was nice that there were breaks that gave us a chance to walk and catch our breath.

During the run my stomach started hurting. I felt like I was having digestion problems and I needed to let out a lot of gas. That would catch up to me later, as you'll read below.

After the run I felt pretty pumped up. I was actually sweating. I don't usually sweat that much at my work-outs at the gym. So it was somewhat satisfying that I was sweating. That meant I had a good workout.

Two hours after the run I went into the lab to work on some things. When I got in the car to drive to the lab I didn't feel so good. I brushed off those feelings and worked a bit when I got there. But those bad feelings caught up with me and I had to run to the bathroom. Diarrhea! It wasn't pretty. I didn't feel so hot. So this is what it feels like to be a runner.

I went home and looked up what was wrong with me on the internet. Apparently there is something called runner's trot. I'm not sure if I have it or not. We'll find out as I get farther into this program!

My muscles feel very sore right now. My groin muscles hurt most. I bet I'll hurt even more tomorrow! We'll soon find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment